Post #29 – Ampath Application Development – Sprint 5 Retrospective

At the end of last sprint, 3 of our 5 team members were unable to run the application due to compilation errors.  The compilation errors continued into this sprint which made our team unproductive and a bit disheartened.  I think low-morale in the team caused a bit of a stand-still and some of our meetings were short-handed with regard to present team members.  Members of the ‘Everyone Else’ team gave us some advice on how to get our application running again, but it did not work.  As a last-ditch effort, we contacted somebody at Ampath to ask how they might resolve the errors we were experiencing.  They did not respond for several days.  During those several days, we happened upon a solution while discussing implementation with another team, and we concluded this sprint by successfully compiling the application.

The few meetings we had with team-members present comprised of planning our strategy for implementation (for when our team members are back on board) and creating an API for our offline-encryption service while we worked on finding a solution to our compilation errors.  We figured that, with only one sprint remaining, we will only be able to create an offline-encryption service for encrypting login and patient information.  We wrote a mock-service that utilized the crypto-js encryption library to encrypt login and patient information, and then used that mock-service to write an API for our planned implementation.  Once we finished the API, we sent it to somebody at Ampath for approval, and they approved it.

We then went back to addressing compilation issues.  Like many of the other developers working on this application, I have had compilation errors previously, and figured that I would be able to use one of the fixes that I had already found.  However, none of the fixes that I had used previously were working to get my application compiled and running again.  Me and the other team members experiencing this problem convened with members of ‘Everyone Else’ and they advised us to run the command ‘npm rebuild’ to potentially fix the compilation erros, but this did not work.  We contacted somebody at Ampath for advice about how they would resolve the kinds of compilation errors we were experiencing, but they did not respond by the end of the sprint.  While we were waiting for a response, we happened upon a solution while discussing implementation strategies with another team.  Matt Foley pointed us to some installation and compilation instructions that he was presented by somebody at Ampath.  This solution worked for the present team members, and we shared it with the our absent team members so that they could also get the application running.  As the sprint wrapped up, we were all able to successfully compile and run the application and, now that we have all members up to speed and an API approved by the people at Ampath, we should be able to fully resume work on implementation and we hope to have some deliverables worth presenting at the end of the semester.

Advertisements